Running a successful parish or local council web site starts with solid foundations - the right domain name, professional advice, web site hosting and ongoing support.
Since 1997 we have been helping parish and town councils throughout the UK to establish their web presence, managing the gov.uk domain name registration process, DNS nameserver set-up and, where required, web hosting solutions.
We are a janet Approved ISP (Internet Service Provider) Membership Account holder. This allows us to register new gov.uk domain names or to accept transfered names. We manage the billing process to ensure that renewals are paid when due.
Register a new .gov.uk domain name
- Read the gov.uk domain name guidelines and make sure that your name complies with all requirements
- Use our gov.uk domain name check (below) to confirm that your chosen domain is available to be registered
- If the domain is available, complete and submit the information request form (displayed if the domain is available)
- Pay the administration fee when you receive our invoice
- We will keep you informed of the registration process and let you know as soon as we receive notification
Already have an existing domain name?
For councils who have registered a gov.uk domain name with a provider that they no longer wish to use, the domain name can be transferred so that it is managed by ActiveCouncil. We take care of the necessary technical configuration. Please email us at contact@ActiveCouncil.co.uk
If your web site is already hosted by a provider you no longer wish to use, we can usually transfer the complete site content to a new hosting space on our servers and ensure a smooth transition from the old to the new setup.
|Registration of a new gov.uk domain name without a hosting||£100|
|Transfer of existing .gov.uk domain name from a different provider||£50|
|Annual renewal fee per .gov.uk domain name outside a hosting solution (after the first year of use)||£50|
|Annual hosted web space - renewal fees are included||£175|
|Annual hosted web space plus a MySQL database allowing you to use software such as Drupal or WordPress - renewal fees are included||£275|
|A new gov.uk domain name registration made as part of one of the ActiveCouncil hosting solutions incurs a discounted one-off cost towards the initial registration fee. Subsequent annual renewal fees are included in the corresponding fee.||£50|
All prices exclude UK VAT at 20%